Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Trying some new things

Hello!

Summer Card Class continues today!  We're half way through, and man, am I going to be sorry to see it end!  But we won't think about that just now!

I tried a couple of new things for my card today.  This one took me a long time to make.  I think because it is outside of my style comfort zone, but I'm really trying to stretch myself with the lessons learned in class.  So it's all worth it!  First new thing to try was a brilliant technique shared by Jennifer McGuire to use a craft knife to create slits in die cuts resulting in added texture.  I never would have thought of this - and wow, does it ever create a cool effect.  Since I don't have a die cutting machine, and obviously no dies, I tried to make this work just using my stamps and good ol' scissors, and it seemed to work!  Jennifer also used distress inks to create her card, but I don't have those either (added to my wish list among the zillions of other things added!).  So I just used regular dye ink with water, and it seemed to do the trick.  The technique was hard to see in the photo of the card itself, so you will see that I took a close-up shot of it so you could see it a bit better.

The other new thing I tried was to create a circle window card.  Again, something that I wouldn't normally do, but I wanted to give it a shot.  I sandwiched some vellum in between the circles too. 

And here's the card:




I think it might be missing something - too much brown???  I did try adding some stamped circles onto an earlier attempt with this card (yup, there were a few re-do's!), like Jennifer did, and like the sketch showed, but they just weren't looking right).  And I also noticed after I took the photo that something was crooked between the polka dot strip and the brown panel, but after spending way too much time on this card, I decided I would not pull it apart (again!).

Hoping to create some more again today!
See you later!!  Thank you so much for coming by!
Shannon

9 comments:

  1. I think this is gorgeous...I wouldn't change a thing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful. You go very well. I just made two cards yet and haven't even posted them. I really like your cards.
    Groetjes Zelda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Shannon - thanks for sharing what you have learned...because I am learning from you! Something as simple as cutting into an image to add dimension....never would have thought to do that!

    I love your card - definitely NOT too much brown! I think that the large area of one solid textured color is the perfect way to showcase the simply beautiful highlights of the card. The velum window is magnificent, the blue & green are stunning together and the wee loops of twine add just the right amount of whimsy!

    Here's to another A+++++++++

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your card, Shannon. It sure doesn't look like this is outside of your comfort zone. Love the colors and the way you put the card together. I've been trying to make do with my supplies as well this week - although I used a JoAnne's 50% off coupon to buy a set of Distress Ink markers today.

    You wondered about the brown - it doesn't seem like too much. I know when I think there's too much of a color, using an embossing folder seems to help. Something about the texture breaks up all of the color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss this card? It's stunning, and your improvising just adds more 'awesome' to the overall effect! I agree with all the comments above: colours are balanced, the cuts on the 'dies' add a special touch, and the window focal point is definitely an eye-catcher. Excellence to the nth degree!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty! I love how you used the vellum! So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This card is SOOOOOOOOO beautiful! I LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about it-- great color combo, the flower, the tag... ALL OF IT! I don't think it's missing anything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful...impossible that something's missing! I love the blooms :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment - I appreciate them so much!